1 small onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cup chopped plum tomatoes, with juices
6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 lb 93%-lean ground turkey
¼ cup finely chopped scallions
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
¼ tsp salt
½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 4-inch-square slices foccacia bread (about 2 ounce each), toasted
1. To prepare marinara: Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cover and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in fresh tomatoes and any juices, sun-dried tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have broken down, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in basil and remove from the heat. Transfer to a food processor and pulse to form a coarse-textured sauce. Return to the pan and set aside.
2. To prepare burgers: Place turkey, scallions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Gently combine, without overmixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 8 thin patties about 4-inches wide and 3/8 inch thick.
3. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and basil and place an equal amount in the center of 4 patties. Cover with the remaining patties and crimp the edges closed.
4. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (see Grilling Variation). Add burgers and cook, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, 8 to 10 minutes total.
5. Warm the marinara on the stove. To assemble the burgers, spread 3 tablespoons of marinara on each toasted focaccia, top with a burger, about 3 more tablespoons of marinara and 1 tablespoon of the remaining cheese.
Grilling Variation: To grill the turkey burgers, preheat a grill to medium-high. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the patties, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, 8 to 10 minutes total.
Tip: To oil the grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 299
- Calories from fat 135
- Total Fat 15gm 23%
- Saturated Fat 4gm 20%
- Monounsaturated Fat 5gm
- Sodium 706mg 29%
- Total Carbohydrates 14gm 5%
- Fiber 2gm 2%
- Protein 28gm
- Cholesterol 47mg 25%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.