1 tart green apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and thinly sliced
1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 tsp minced fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon dried
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
¼ cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
2 lb mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see note)
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add apple, fennel and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Stir in thyme, sage and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Pour in broth and vermouth (or wine), stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
5. Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Note: To debeard a mussel: Hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 2 Total
- Calories 310
- Calories from fat 81
- Total Fat 9gm 14%
- Saturated Fat 1gm 5%
- Monounsaturated Fat 2gm
- Sodium 494mg 21%
- Total Carbohydrates 29gm 10%
- Fiber 6gm 6%
- Protein 23gm
- Cholesterol 48mg 16%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.