- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- To prepare the rolling sugar: Pulse 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon orange zest in a food processor until well combined. Place in a shallow dish and set aside.
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
⅓ cup granulated sugar
⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp orange zest
½ cup light or dark molasses
7 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground clove
¼ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
¼ tsp salt
2 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
- To prepare cookie dough: Grind oats in a blender until they look like a fine powder, 1 to 2 minutes, scraping the sides as needed.
- Beat butter and 1/3 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 5 minutes. Add brown sugar and 2 tablespoons orange zest and beat another 2 minutes. Add molasses, applesauce, egg yolk, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, pepper and salt; beat on medium-high until incorporated, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl and beaters as needed.
- Turn the mixer to medium and slowly add the ground oats. Scrape down the bowl; with the mixer on medium, slowly add whole-wheat flour. (The dough will be moderately sticky.)
- Using a slightly rounded tablespoon of dough, roll into balls, then roll in the rolling sugar to coat. (If necessary, wet your fingers to help roll without sticking.) The zest will make the mixture slightly wet and it will clump; lightly brush off the excess so that just a thin coat is on the cookie. Place cookies about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies in batches until the edges are set and the tops are cracked, but the centers are still soft and puffy, about 10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 8 minutes. Serve warm or cool on a wire rack.
To Make Ahead: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 40 Total
- Calories 85
- Calories from fat 18
- Total Fat 2gm 3%
- Sodium 48mg 2%
- Total Carbohydrates 16gm 5%
- Fiber 1gm 4%
- Protein 1gm
- Cholesterol 9mg 3%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.