¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cinnamon, divided
1 ¼ tsp ground cumin, divided
1 ¼ tsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 can 14-ounce diced tomatoes, with juice
1 can 15-ounce chickpeas, rinsed
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
4 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, divided
1 orange, scrubbed, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup whole-wheat couscous
1. Pat chicken thighs dry with a paper towel. Season with salt, pepper, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon cumin.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onion to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon each cinnamon and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and their juice, chickpeas, broth, 2 tablespoons cilantro and orange slices; bring to a simmer, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits. Return the chicken and any collected juice to the pan; cover and cook over medium-low heat until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a clean plate.
4. Bring the cooking liquid back to a boil; stir in couscous and place the chicken thighs on top of the mixture. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with the remaining cilantro.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 417
- Calories from fat 126
- Total Fat 14gm 22%
- Sodium 458mg 19%
- Total Carbohydrates 44gm 15%
- Fiber 8gm 32%
- Protein 29gm
- Cholesterol 74mg 25%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.