1 ½ tsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp crumbled dried rosemary or oregano
¼ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbsp chopped pitted black olives
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
12 oz orzo pasta
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
2. Cook lamb (or beef) in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain in a sieve set over a bowl.
3. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon, rosemary (or oregano) and crushed red pepper, if using; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add lamb (or beef).
4. Puree tomatoes and their juices in a food processor until smooth. Add to the meat mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in olives. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Meanwhile, cook orzo until just tender, about 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and toss with the sauce. Serve garnished with feta.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 462
- Calories from fat 81
- Total Fat 9gm 14%
- Sodium 351mg 15%
- Total Carbohydrates 73gm 24%
- Fiber 5gm 20%
- Protein 23gm
- Cholesterol 31mg 10%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.