2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tsp chili powder
4 tsp smoked paprika or Hungarian paprika
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp kosher salt
4 lb first-cut brisket (or flat-cut), trimmed of fat
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 can 14-ounce no-salt-added diced tomatoes
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup cider vinegar
1. Combine shallots, garlic, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, oregano and salt in a small bowl. Rub into both sides of meat. Set the meat in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
2. Pour Worcestershire sauce over the meat. Cover the pan with foil and set aside at room temperature while the oven heats to 350°F.
3. Bake the brisket, covered, for 2 hours. Meanwhile, blend tomatoes, brown sugar and vinegar in a large blender or food processor until smooth.
4. After 2 hours, pour the tomato mixture over the meat; continue baking, covered, until fork-tender, basting with pan juices every 30 minutes, for about 1 1/2 hours more.
5. Remove the meat from the sauce. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice against the grain. Skim the fat from the sauce in the pan; pour the sauce over the meat and serve (or follow make-ahead instructions).
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 12 Total
- Calories 228
- Calories from fat 63
- Total Fat 7gm 11%
- Saturated Fat 3gm 15%
- Monounsaturated Fat 3gm
- Sodium 221mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrates 8gm 3%
- Fiber 1gm 1%
- Protein 32gm
- Cholesterol 64mg 21%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.