1. Whisk water, 1 tablespoon oil, yeast and sugar in a large bowl; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Add 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cheese and salt to the yeast mixture; stir to combine. Add just enough of the remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to make a smooth but slightly sticky dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth but still soft, about 5 minutes, adding more flour to the work surface as needed.
3. Clean and dry the bowl. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the bowl, add the dough and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
4. Punch down the dough and divide into 6 equal balls. Dust with flour.
5. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Roll or stretch each ball into a circle about 7 inches in diameter. Place one dough circle in the heated pan and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides and cooked through, 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining circles of dough, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning. Stack the cooked flatbreads on top of each other and cover with a clean towel; let cool completely before storing.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 240
- Calories from fat 54
- Total Fat 6gm 9%
- Saturated Fat 2gm 10%
- Monounsaturated Fat 2gm
- Sodium 633mg 26%
- Total Carbohydrates 38gm 13%
- Fiber 4gm 16%
- Protein 9gm
- Cholesterol 7mg 2%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.