In this fruit crisp, the crunchy oatmeal topping and the peach-rhubarb filling get a lively kick from finely chopped crystallized ginger. (If you’re not a ginger fan just leave it out.) The fruit filling is sweetened to match the peach-rhubarb combination—if you use other fruit that is very ripe and/or sweet, reduce the sugar in the filling to 3 tablespoons. The topping can be made ahead, so consider making a double batch and storing half in the freezer to have on hand for a quick dessert.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch shallow glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray.
2. To prepare filling: Toss peaches (or nectarines) and rhubarb (or blueberries) with brown sugar and crystallized ginger. (If using frozen fruit, let stand for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, to thaw the fruit before transferring to the baking dish.) Transfer to the prepared baking dish and spread in an even layer.
½ cup chopped pecan
¼ cup white whole-wheat flour (see note)
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp minced crystallized ginger
⅛ tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp canola oil
3. To prepare topping: Combine oats, pecans, flour, brown sugar, crystallized ginger and salt in a medium bowl. Drizzle butter and oil over the mixture and stir until evenly moistened. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
4. Bake until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is browned, 35 to 50 minutes. Let cool for about 20 minutes before serving.
Note: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
To Make Ahead: Refrigerate the topping in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 286
- Calories from fat 126
- Total Fat 14gm 22%
- Sodium 57mg 2%
- Total Carbohydrates 40gm 13%
- Fiber 4gm 16%
- Protein 4gm
- Cholesterol 10mg 3%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.