3 ripe Bosc pears
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
¼ tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup coarse dry bread crumb
⅓ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Fill a large bowl three-quarters full with water; add a handful of ice cubes. Cut onion into 16 wedges, place in a strainer and lower into the water. Let stand for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. Halve and core each pear; cut each half into 6 slices. Drain the onion wedges well and place them in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish along with the pear slices, 1 tablespoon oil, thyme, salt and a grinding of pepper; toss to combine. Cover with foil.
4. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring twice.
5. Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs and cheese in a small bowl. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil; stir to combine. Remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the gratin, return to the oven and roast until the breadcrumbs are well browned, 20 to 30 minutes more. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Note: We like to use the Ian's brand of coarse dry breadcrumbs, labeled "Panko breadcrumbs." Find them in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets.
To make your own breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice makes about 1/3 cup. Spread the breadcrumbs onto a baking sheet and bake in a 250‚°F oven until dry and crispy, about 15 minutes.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 8 Total
- Calories 188
- Calories from fat 63
- Total Fat 7gm 11%
- Saturated Fat 1gm 5%
- Monounsaturated Fat 4gm
- Sodium 225mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrates 29gm 10%
- Fiber 4gm 4%
- Protein 4gm
- Cholesterol 3mg 1%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.