1. Set a small strainer over a heatproof bowl. Heat about 1/2 inch of olive or canola oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the sliced prosciutto and sage leaves and fry just until crisp, 1 to 3 minutes. Drain in the strainer then spread out on a paper towel. Set aside. (Discard the oil when cool.)
2. Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Adjust the heat to maintain a steady simmer.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the chopped prosciutto and shallot; cook, stirring, until the shallot is just beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the minced sage, rice and 1 cup pears; stir to coat with the oil. Add wine and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring, until the wine is almost absorbed by the rice, 1 to 3 minutes.
4. Add enough of the hot broth to just cover the rice mixture. Adjust the heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until almost all the broth is absorbed. Continue to add the hot broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until all the liquid has been absorbed and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, until the rice begins to get creamy, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 cup pears.
5. Continue to add broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until all the liquid has been absorbed and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, until the rice is just tender, 10 to 15 minutes more. (You may not use all of the simmering broth.) Remove from the heat and let stand for 1 minute. Add cheese and butter, stirring until the butter melts. Season with pepper.
6. Divide the risotto among 4 shallow bowls and garnish each with a fried sage leaf and some of the fried prosciutto. Serve immediately with additional cheese, if desired.
More From Kitchen Daily:
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 265
- Calories from fat 90
- Total Fat 10gm 15%
- Saturated Fat 4gm 20%
- Monounsaturated Fat 4gm
- Sodium 405mg 17%
- Total Carbohydrates 32gm 11%
- Fiber 2gm 2%
- Protein 10gm
- Cholesterol 22mg 7%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.