¾ tsp salt, divided
1 cup boiling water
6 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 oz white or brown mushroom, stem trimmed, wiped clean and chopped
1 chopped large onion
1 ½ Tbsp balsamic vinegar
¾ cup pecan half
blue cheese sauce, optional (recipe follows)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ cup fine dry breadcrumb
freshly ground pepper to taste
8 whole-wheat bun (optional)
watercress for garnish
- Place bulgur and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Pour the boiling water over, cover and set aside until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Drain in a sieve, pressing out excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Immediately transfer the mixture to a plate and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Toast pecans in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Prepare Blue Cheese Sauce, if using.
- Combine the vegetable mixture and pecans in a food processor; pulse briefly until coarsely chopped. Add egg and the bulgur; pulse briefly, scraping down the sides if necessary, until the mixture is cohesive but roughly textured. Transfer to a bowl; stir in breadcrumbs and pepper. Mix well.
- With dampened hands, form the mixture into eight 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
- Using 2 teaspoons oil per batch, cook 4 patties at a time in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until evenly browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Meanwhile, split and toast buns, if using, to serve the burgers on. Garnish the burgers with watercress and the cheese sauce, if desired.
Related Recipe: Blue Cheese Sauce
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 8 Total
- Calories 197
- Calories from fat 108
- Total Fat 12gm 18%
- Saturated Fat 1gm 5%
- Monounsaturated Fat 7gm
- Sodium 282mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrates 19gm 6%
- Fiber 4gm 16%
- Protein 5gm
- Cholesterol 26mg 9%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.