1 2-ounce piece capicola or pancetta, finely diced (see tip)
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
½ cup vodka
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
¼ cup half & half
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp crushed red pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook penne until just tender, 12 minutes or according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, cook capicola (or pancetta) in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
3. Return the saucepan to medium-low heat; add onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 1 minute. Increase heat to high; add vodka and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced by about half, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, half-and-half, Worcestershire sauce and crushed red pepper to taste; reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
4. Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with the capicola (or pancetta), basil and pepper.
Tip: Capicola and pancetta can be found in the deli section of most large supermarkets. Buy one thick piece for this recipe.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 311
- Calories from fat 27
- Total Fat 3gm 5%
- Saturated Fat 264mg 11%
- Monounsaturated Fat 1gm
- Total Carbohydrates 47gm 16%
- Fiber 5gm 20%
- Protein 11gm
- Cholesterol 9mg 3%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.