1 active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoon)
1 tsp sugar
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see tips)
1 cup bread flour or all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp fine cornmeal
all-purpose flour for dusting
½ cup prepared pizza (or marinara) sauce
⅓ cup mini pepperoni slices (or chopped pepperoni)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. To prepare dough: Stir water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl; let stand until the yeast has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Stir in whole-wheat flour, bread flour (or all-purpose flour) and salt until the dough begins to come together.
2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, mix the dough in a food processor or in a stand mixer with a dough hook. Process or mix until it forms a ball. Continue to process until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 1 minute more in a food processor or 4 to 5 minutes more on low speed in a stand mixer.) Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat.
3. Cover with a clean kitchen towel; set aside in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
4. Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F. Brush oil over a large baking sheet. Sprinkle the baking sheet with cornmeal to coat evenly.
5. Sprinkle flour over work surface. Roll out the dough to the size of the baking sheet (see Tips) and transfer to the baking sheet. Cover the dough with sauce. Scatter with pepperoni and pepper and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted and starting to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Tips: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Find it at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
No time to make your own dough? Look for balls of prepared whole-wheat pizza dough at your supermarket, fresh or frozen and without any hydrogenated oils.
To Roll Out Pizza Dough: Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Dust with flour; dimple with your fingertips to shape into a thick, flattened circle. Then use a rolling pin to roll into the desired shape. If your dough “resists” being rolled out, let it rest for about 15 minutes, then try rolling it out again.
To Make Ahead: Prepare through Step 2, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Or tightly wrap the unrisen dough in oiled plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost the dough in the refrigerator overnight. Let refrigerated (or previously frozen) dough stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 5 Total
- Calories 364
- Calories from fat 108
- Total Fat 12gm 18%
- Sodium 525mg 22%
- Total Carbohydrates 47gm 16%
- Fiber 5gm 20%
- Protein 15gm
- Cholesterol 21mg 7%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.