¼ cup dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see tip)
2 Tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
¼ tsp ground mace or nutmeg
1 Tbsp butter
1. To prepare salmon cakes: Flake salmon into a bowl, removing any small bones or skin. Cut lemon in half; juice one half and cut the other half into 4 wedges. Add the lemon juice, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, chopped cilantro and mace (or nutmeg) to the bowl. Mix gently with your fingers until well combined. Form into 4 patties 1 inch thick (use a scant 1/2 cup for each). Let sit for about 5 minutes to let the breadcrumbs absorb the flavor.
¼ cup slivered almond
1 clove garlic, peeled
4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves and tender stems
¼ tsp salt
2. To prepare pesto: Meanwhile, place oil, almonds and garlic in a blender and pulse to combine. With the blender on medium speed, begin to add cilantro, a handful at a time. Continue, scraping down the sides, until all the leaves are pureed and you have a thick paste. Season with salt and set aside.
3. Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until foaming. Add the salmon cakes and cook, gently turning halfway through, until golden on both sides, 5 to 6 minutes total. Adjust the heat and reshape the cakes as necessary.
4. Serve the salmon cakes with the pesto and a wedge of lemon.
Tip: To make your own fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. To make fine breadcrumbs, process until very fine. To make dry breadcrumbs, spread coarse or fine breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs or about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs. For store-bought coarse dry breadcrumbs we like Ian’s brand, labeled “Panko breadcrumbs.” Find them at well-stocked supermarkets.
To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate pesto for up to 1 week.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 302
- Calories from fat 198
- Total Fat 22gm 34%
- Sodium 469mg 20%
- Total Carbohydrates 8gm 3%
- Fiber 1gm 4%
- Protein 18gm
- Cholesterol 33mg 11%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.