We watched The Sound of Music one afternoon last week – all 174 minutes of it. I can be extremely good at multi-tasking though. While watching, I not only made slow-simmered beef taco meat for dinner (and I mean seriously slow-simmering…it cooks for three to four hours on the stovetop! But if you’re looking for the best tacos, I’ve got you covered), but I also made these muffins. We needed sustenance at about the 120 minute mark and these flavorful muffins were perfect.
- Preheat oven to 375F; line a muffin tray with paper liners (or butter and flour the muffin wells).
- Pour the milk into a medium bowl and drizzle in the lemon juice; let the milk and lemon juice sit for 3 minutes without stirring or moving the bowl.
- Whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and tea in a large bowl.
- Stir the oil, vanilla, and egg into the bowl with the milk/lemon juice.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry all at once, being careful not to over-mix.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tray and sprinkle the pistachio on top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean, about 16 to 18 minutes. Cool completely.
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tsp water
- Once the muffins have cooled, make the glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough water so it reaches your desired consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze on the cooled muffins and allow it to set before serving.