This is a white pizza-inspired grilled cheese with taleggio, fresh ricotta, basil, spinach, bacon and some red pepper flaked olive oil all on a sliced focaccia loaf.
- Start with the fresh ricotta, and smear on a super thick coat. Sprinkle a little bit of sea salt on top to make it have an extra pop of flavor.
- Now it's bacon time which I'm pretty sure is everyone's favorite time ever in the whole wide world. Except for you veggies, I'm so sorry. Y'all should just omit it and then re-evaluate your life choices. Joking, sort of.
- Ok, onto the next step. Basil time! Just add a few fresh basil leaves for some added herbal earthiness.
- Pile on a ton of fresh spinach...
- Then top with some semi-thick slices of Taleggio. If you're not familiar with Taleggio, then let me fill you in. It's a washed-rind cheese that has a texture similar to brie. Although mild to the taste, it packs a super strong flavor and a pretty serious aroma along with a fruity tang. It also melts perfectly and without much heat.
- Since that's all of the ingredients, go ahead and top your sandwich with the other piece of bread.
- Drizzle a little bit of olive over both sides of the sandwich and sprinkle on a pinch of red pepper flakes if you'd like. C'mon, you gotta do it - it's pizza themed after all!
- Now turn your burner to medium and let that baby cook. It''ll just take a few minutes until the cheese starts to melt and the the bread crisps up into an irresistible golden crust.
- Once it's done, take it out of the pan and let it sit for a sec. Because the taleggio melts pretty rapidly, you'll need to let it sit or else it's all going to fall out all over the place.
Read more from Grilled Cheese Social.