1 lb prepared polenta
3 tsp olive oil, divided
2 onions, chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
¾ cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 ounce)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Pierce sausage links with a fork and place in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly; cut into thin rounds.
2. Meanwhile, pat polenta dry and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stack slices, 4 or 5 at a time, and cut into quarters. Pat slices dry and set aside.
3. Cook the sausage slices in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, stirring over medium-high heat, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
4. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add peppers, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
5. Wipe out the pan and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan; tilt to coat the bottom evenly. Add the reserved polenta and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Add the reserved vegetables and sausages to the pan and shake the pan over the heat until everything is heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with cheese and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 173
- Calories from fat 63
- Total Fat 7gm 11%
- Saturated Fat 2gm 10%
- Monounsaturated Fat 3gm
- Sodium 502mg 21%
- Total Carbohydrates 19gm 6%
- Fiber 3gm 3%
- Protein 9gm
- Cholesterol 6mg 2%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.