1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Mash 1 teaspoon salt and garlic in a small bowl with a mortar and pestle or a spoon until a paste forms. Mix in lime zest, 2 teaspoons lime juice and 1 teaspoon ground chipotle. Rub the paste all over pork.
3. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the pork, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part reaches 145°F, 13 to 15 minutes. Grill onion and bell pepper, turning occasionally, until charred and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the pork to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
4. Combine cherries, cilantro, the remaining 4 teaspoons lime juice, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon chipotle and pinch of salt in a bowl. Finely chop one slice of grilled onion and stir into the salsa.
5. Thinly slice the remaining onion and pepper. Thinly slice the pork. Serve the pork and vegetables with the salsa and cheese on tortillas.
Tips: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeños. Look for ground chipotle in the spice section of most supermarkets or online at penzeys.com.
To pit fresh cherries, use a tool made for the job—a hand-held cherry pitter; it also works for olives! Or pry out the pit with the tip of a knife or vegetable peeler.
To warm corn tortillas, wrap a stack of tortillas in barely damp paper towels; microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds. Or wrap stacks of 4 tortillas in foil; place in a 375°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Wrap tortillas in a clean towel to keep warm.
Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
To Make Ahead: Marinate pork (Step 2) in the refrigerator, loosely covered, for up to 8 hours.
More From Kitchen Daily:
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 365
- Calories from fat 90
- Total Fat 10gm 15%
- Sodium 881mg 37%
- Total Carbohydrates 33gm 11%
- Fiber 6gm 24%
- Protein 37gm
- Cholesterol 107mg 36%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.