½ cup low-fat milk
3 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see tips) or all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
⅛ tsp salt
pinch of ground cinnamon
2 cup halved pitted sweet or sour cherries, fresh or frozen (thawed, drained; see tips)
¼ cup sliced almond
confectioners' sugar for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place 1 teaspoon butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or ovenproof nonstick skillet and transfer to the oven to melt the butter.
2. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small pan or the microwave. Transfer to a medium bowl and whisk in milk, eggs and vanilla. Add flour, granulated sugar, salt and cinnamon and whisk to combine.
3. Remove the pan from the oven, tilting it to coat the bottom with butter. Add cherries in a layer. Pour the batter over the cherries and sprinkle with almonds.
4. Bake the pancake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting into 4 wedges. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Tips: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Find it at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
To pit fresh cherries, use a tool made for the job—a hand-held cherry pitter; it also works for olives! Or pry out the pit with the tip of a knife or vegetable peeler.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 252
- Calories from fat 99
- Total Fat 11gm 17%
- Sodium 140mg 6%
- Total Carbohydrates 30gm 10%
- Fiber 4gm 16%
- Protein 9gm
- Cholesterol 151mg 50%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.