2 cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
2 ½ tsp baking soda
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice
2 large egg white
2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1 can unseasoned pumpkin puree
1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
⅓ cup canola oil
2 tsp freshly grated orange or lemon zest (optional)
1 ½ cup dried cranberries or raisins
To prepare cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. To prepare cake coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice in a large bowl. Whisk egg whites, brown sugar, pumpkin, yogurt, oil and orange (or lemon) zest, if using, in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Fold the pumpkin mixture and dried cranberries (or raisins) into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until completely blended. Do no over mix. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool on the rack.
Tip: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Find it at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Glaze & Garnish
1 ½ Tbsp orange juice
1 tsp freshly grated orange zest, plus julienned zest for garnish
To prepare glaze:
- Place confectioners’ sugar and zest to taste in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon orange juice and stir until smooth. Add up to 1/2 tablespoon more juice to thin the glaze to desired consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. Garnish with julienned zest, if desired.
To Make Ahead: 12-cup Bundt pan