1. To make crust: Stir together all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 30 seconds. Pour into a small bowl and let cool. Stir in oil. Slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the flour with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Gradually stir in enough ice water so that the dough will hold together. Press the dough into a flattened disk.
2. Place two overlapping lengths of plastic wrap on the work surface. Set the dough in the center and cover with two more sheets of plastic wrap. Roll the dough with a rolling pin into a 13-inch circle. Remove the top sheets and invert the dough into a 9-inch, deep-dish pie pan. Remove the remaining wrap. Fold the edges under at the rim and crimp. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
3. To make filling: Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add pumpkin, evaporated milk, molasses and rum (or vanilla). Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt in a small bowl. Rub through a sieve into the pumpkin mixture and whisk until incorporated.
4. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake until the filling has set and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes, covering the edges with foil if they are browning too quickly. Cool on a wire rack.
More From Kitchen Daily:
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 8 Total
- Calories 193
- Calories from fat 72
- Total Fat 8gm 12%
- Saturated Fat 2gm 10%
- Monounsaturated Fat 4gm
- Sodium 134mg 6%
- Total Carbohydrates 24gm 8%
- Fiber 3gm 12%
- Protein 4gm
- Cholesterol 57mg 19%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.