1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage links, removed from casings
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
2 cup sliced mushrooms
4 cup baby spinach
2 egg white
½ cup 1% milk
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
6 sheets phyllo dough, defrosted according to package directions
¼ cup plain bread crumb
¼ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish glass pie pan with cooking spray.
2. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl lined with paper towels. Coat the pan with cooking spray, add onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add spinach and stir until just wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the sausage; set aside.
3. Whisk eggs, egg whites, milk and pepper in a medium bowl.
4. Unroll phyllo onto a clean, dry surface. Cover with a sheet of wax paper and then a damp kitchen towel. Place one sheet of dough into the prepared pie pan, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining phyllo, spraying and sprinkling between each layer, turning each sheet at a 45° angle to cover the entire pan. Trim the phyllo edge with kitchen shears to be level with the rim of the pan. Spread the sausage mixture in an even layer on top of the phyllo; pour in the egg mixture and top with cheese.
5. Bake the quiche until the top is browned and the phyllo is crispy, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 8 Total
- Calories 236
- Calories from fat 81
- Total Fat 9gm
- Saturated Fat 3gm 15%
- Monounsaturated Fat 3gm 51%
- Sodium 543mg
- Total Carbohydrates 19gm 14%
- Fiber 2gm 6%
- Protein 19gm 2%
- Cholesterol 153mg 23%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.