6 scallions, trimmed and sliced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 ½ tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see tip)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
2 large egg
4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 can 15-ounce black beans, rinsed
1 cup tomato salsa, mild, medium or hot
1. Cook rice with the amount of water called for in the package directions, adding scallions, garlic and thyme to the water. Remove from heat and stir in corn, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Let stand for about 5 minutes to cool slightly.
2. Whisk eggs in a large bowl until frothy. Add the rice mixture and mash with a potato masher until the mixture holds together (it will be fairly soft), about 1 minute. Shape the mixture into 8 patties.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully transfer 4 patties to the pan with a spatula and cook until browned and crispy, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover to keep warm. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and repeat with the remaining 4 patties.
4. Meanwhile, combine beans and salsa in a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 5 minutes. To serve, divide the beans among 4 plates and top with 2 patties each.
Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 354
- Calories from fat 126
- Total Fat 14gm 22%
- Saturated Fat 2gm 10%
- Monounsaturated Fat 6gm
- Sodium 650mg 27%
- Total Carbohydrates 50gm 17%
- Fiber 12gm 48%
- Protein 17gm
- Cholesterol 106mg 35%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.