½ cup sugar
6 Tbsp cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
3 ½ cup low-fat milk, divided
2 tsp vanilla extract
8 firm, ripe Bosc pears (about 3/14 pound), peeled and diced
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup sliced almonds (optional)
¾ cup apricot fruit spread or preserves
3 3-ounce packages ladyfingers (see note)
4 Tbsp amaretto, divided (see tip)
1 pt raspberry
1 ¾ cup vanilla cream
1. To prepare custard: Whisk eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt and 1/2 cup milk in a medium bowl until smooth. Heat the remaining 3 cups milk in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return this mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the custard bubbles and thickens. (Use caution, as hot custard will sputter.) Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Transfer the custard to a shallow glass dish. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. To roast pears: Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Toss pears, 2 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl. Spread the pears on the prepared baking sheet. Roast the pears until tender and golden brown in spots, turning occasionally, 45 to 50 minutes.
3. While the pears are roasting, toast almonds, if using, in a small baking pan until fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. To assemble trifle: Melt apricot preserves in a small saucepan over low heat. Arrange 14 to 15 ladyfingers in the bottom of a trifle bowl (8-inch diameter), trimming them if necessary to fit tightly. Drizzle 1 tablespoon amaretto over the ladyfingers and dot with 3 tablespoons of the preserves. Top with one-third of the roasted pears (about 1 1/3 cups) and a scant 1/2 cup raspberries. Spread 3/4 cup custard over. Repeat layering 2 more times with ladyfingers, amaretto, preserves, fruit and custard. Top with 13 to 15 ladyfingers (you may have leftovers); drizzle with remaining amaretto. Spread remaining custard over the top. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, make Vanilla Cream, if using.
6. Shortly before serving, spread Vanilla Cream (or whipped topping) on top of the trifle, if desired, and garnish with toasted almonds, if desired, and the remaining raspberries.
Ingredient Note: Ladyfingers can be found in the in-store bakery of most supermarkets.
Tip: Replace amaretto with 4 tablespoons orange juice mixed with 1/4 teaspoon almond extract.
Related Recipe: Vanilla Cream
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 20 Total
- Calories 197
- Calories from fat 9
- Total Fat 1gm 2%
- Saturated Fat 1gm 5%
- Monounsaturated Fat 0gm
- Sodium 65mg 3%
- Total Carbohydrates 42gm 14%
- Fiber 3gm 3%
- Protein 4gm 3%
- Cholesterol 32mg 11%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.