1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp plus 2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
¼ tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 can 28-ounce plum tomatoes with juices
2 Tbsp torn fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
4 large egg
4 oz part-skim mozzarella, thinly sliced and cut into 1/4-inch strips
4 1/2-inch-thick slices Italian bread, preferably whole-wheat
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine eggplant, onion, zucchini, bell pepper and garlic in a large bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; toss to coat. Spread the vegetables on the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast the vegetables, uncovered, turning often, until lightly browned and tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cut tomatoes into chunks. Stir the tomatoes (and their juices), basil and parsley into the vegetables. Cover with foil.
4. Bake until the ratatouille is hot and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
5. With a large spoon, make four evenly spaced indentations in the hot ratatouille. Carefully break an egg into each indentation. Sprinkle cheese over the vegetables and eggs. Bake, uncovered, until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. While the eggs are baking, toast bread and drizzle each slice with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Divide bread slices among 4 plates or shallow soup bowls.
7. To serve, lift an egg and ratatouille from the baking dish and place on top of a slice of toasted bread. Spoon the remaining vegetables and juices around the edges, distributing evenly. Garnish with more basil, if desired.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 402
- Calories from fat 180
- Total Fat 20gm 31%
- Saturated Fat 4gm 20%
- Monounsaturated Fat 11gm
- Sodium 544mg 23%
- Total Carbohydrates 36gm 12%
- Fiber 6gm 6%
- Protein 20gm
- Cholesterol 212mg 71%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.