1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Toss onions, oil, salt and pepper in a 9-by-13-inch pan. Roast the onions, stirring once or twice, until starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
3. Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 cup garlic and continue roasting, stirring once, until the tomatoes are falling apart and beginning to brown in spots, about 20 minutes more.
4. Transfer the onion-tomato mixture to a large saucepan. Add broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
5. Meanwhile, place bread on a large baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 10 minutes. Rub both sides of the toasted bread with the halved garlic clove. (Discard remaining garlic.)
6. To serve, place a piece of toasted bread in a shallow soup bowl. Ladle about 1 cup soup over the bread. Sprinkle with basil and cheese and serve immediately.
To Make Ahead: Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
More From Kitchen Daily:
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 213
- Calories from fat 72
- Total Fat 8gm 12%
- Sodium 594mg 25%
- Total Carbohydrates 27gm 9%
- Fiber 5gm 20%
- Protein 10gm
- Cholesterol 4mg 1%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.