- In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with water. Simmer over moderately high heat until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and let cool. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/4-inch dice. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of water over moderately high heat. Add the spinach in batches; cook until wilted. Drain, squeeze dry and coarsely chop.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, jalapeño and chopped dill and season with salt.
- Put the salmon in a food processor and pulse a few times, until chopped. Pulse in the cream until incorporated. Add the salmon to the potatoes. Stir in the spinach and onion and season with salt. Form into 12 patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/8 inch of oil. Add half of the cakes and fry over high heat until lightly browned on the bottom, 1 minute. Reduce the heat to moderately high and cook until well browned, 2 minutes. Turn and cook for 3 minutes, until browned. Repeat with the remaining cakes; add more oil to the skillet as needed. Garnish the cakes with the dill sprigs and serve with the sauce.
Recipe Credit: Marcia Kiesel
Image Credit: Quentin Bacon