2 Tbsp sake (see note) or dry white wine
2 Tbsp mirin (see note)
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp molasses
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp minced fresh ginger
12 small-to-medium dry sea scallops (about 10 ounce) or 6 large, cut in half (see shopping tip), tough muscle removed
8 medium button mushrooms, halved
1. Combine soy sauce, sake (or wine), mirin, sugar, molasses, Worcestershire and ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, pour into a medium bowl, and cool to room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the sauce in a small bowl. Add scallops and mushrooms to the remaining sauce; stir well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes (but no longer: the scallops will begin to break down if marinated too long).
3. Preheat grill to medium. Oil the grill rack (see Tip).
4. Trim scallion whites and reserve for another use. Separate the scallion greens into individual long greens. Wrap one scallion green around the perimeter of each scallop and thread the scallops onto the skewers, piercing through the sides and thereby keeping the scallions in place. Alternate 4 mushroom halves and 3 scallion-wrapped scallops on each skewer. (Reserve any remaining scallion greens for another use.)
5. Grill the skewers, basting with some of the ≠reserved sauce, for 3 minutes. Turn, baste, and continue grilling just until the scallops are firm and opaque, about 3 minutes more.
Ingredient Notes: Mirin is a sweet, low-alcohol rice wine essential in Japanese cooking. Look for it in your supermarket with other Asian ingredients.
Sake is a dry rice wine generally available where other wines are sold.
Kitchen Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Shopping Tip: Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops (not treated with sodium tripolyphosphate, or STP). Scallops that have been treated with STP (“wet” scallops) have been subjected to a chemical bath and are not only mushy and less flavorful, but may not brown properly.
To Make Ahead: Equipment: 4 bamboo skewers
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 229
- Calories from fat 9
- Total Fat 1gm 2%
- Sodium 644mg 27%
- Total Carbohydrates 19gm 6%
- Fiber 1gm 4%
- Protein 27gm
- Cholesterol 47mg 16%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.