Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. Not only is it delicious and easy to prepare, it's also packed with health benefits. Asparagus can be roasted, grilled, steamed, sautéed, or even eaten raw like in my Shaved Asparagus Salad with Oranges, Almonds and Manchego. This Spanish-inspired salad pairs raw, shaved asparagus with vibrant oranges, salty Manchego cheese, and crunchy almonds all tossed in a delicious orange sherry vinaigrette.
- Cut the top and bottom ends off the oranges. Place the oranges flat on a cutting board and with a knife, carefully cut down the sides to remove the peel.
Using a paring knife, carefully cut out the orange segments, leaving the membranes behind. Do this over a bowl to collect any juice. Once all of the orange segments are removed, squeeze the remaining membranes and collect all of the juice in a bowl.
- To make the salad, shave the asparagus with a vegetable peeler. Holding the end of each stalk, carefully start shaving the asparagus starting about an inch from the end of the stalk all the way down to the tip. Reserve any unused asparagus for making stock or other dishes.
- Place the shaved asparagus in a bowl toss it with about ¾ of the vinaigrette. Let it rest for about 5 minutes until the asparagus is slightly wilted.
- Add the oranges and most of the almonds to the bowl and toss to combine. Add as much of the remaining dressing as needed to coat the ingredients. Season the salad with salt and pepper. Plate the salad and top with the remaining almonds and Manchego cheese shavings.
Orange Sherry Vinaigrette
1 tsp sherry vinegar
½ tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp minced shallot
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
- To make the vinaigrette, measure out 2 tablespoons of the orange juice and place it in a small bowl. Whisk in the vinegar, mustard and shallot. Then, drizzle in the oil as you continue whisking. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
Read more from The Foodie Physician.
More From Kitchen Daily:
Provided by: The Foodie Physician
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 137
- Total Fat 7.3g
- Saturated Fat 2.4g
- Total Carbohydrates 14.4g
- Fiber 4.3g
- Protein 5.7g
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.