A portion of kale has only 36 calories but provides 192 percent of your daily vitamin A needs, meaning this dish has massive health benefits even before we get to the fish! It truly is a simple dish, made the way we like it: the best ingredients possible left alone to bask in all their beauty. And this one is muy facil. I like it especially for the moms who need to cook something up quick because it takes all of 15 minutes form start to finish. Okay, maybe 15 for me, 25 for you, but 25 tops! Olives are a bit high in monounsaturated fats, but they offer a substantial amount of vitamin E and anti-inflammatory benefits. And if you can't get black bass, don't freak out. You can sub cod, striped bass, really any nice thick white fillet of fish.
4 skin-on black bass fillets (6 ounces each)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 large bunch kale, stems discarded, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 grated zest and juice of 1 orange
¼ cup hand-torn flat-leaf parsley
½ roasted red pepper, finely chopped
¼ cup chopped kalamata olives
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium ovenproof skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heath. Season the bass generously with salt and black pepper. Place it skin-side-down in the skillet and cook until the skin is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Place the pan in the oven and bake until the fish flakes easily, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until they are translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the kale in handfuls, being careful not to crowd the pan, and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and use a wooden spoon to scrape up and browned bits on the bottom of the pan to deglaze it. Add the broth, orange zest and juice, parsley, roasted peppers, and olives and cook for 2 minutes to warm through and marry the flavors. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- To serve, spoon the kale mixture into 4 individual bowls and top each serving with 1 bass fillet.
Provided by: The Sweet Life
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 613
- Total Fat 41g
- Saturated Fat 8g
- Sodium 724mg
- Total Carbohydrates 28g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 33g
- Cholesterol 110mg
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.