12 oz hot Italian turkey sausage link, removed from casings
1 ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 cup instant brown rice
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 cup finely shredded smoked cheese, such as mozzarella, cheddar or gouda, divided
1. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
2. Place peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Fill the dish with 1/2 inch of water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain the water and transfer the peppers to a roasting pan.
3. Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes and rice; increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice is softened but still moist, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until the rice absorbs the remaining liquid, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir basil and half the cheese into the rice mixture. Divide the filling among the peppers, then top with the remaining cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 294
- Calories from fat 99
- Total Fat 11gm 17%
- Saturated Fat 5gm 25%
- Monounsaturated Fat 0gm
- Sodium 533mg 22%
- Total Carbohydrates 32gm 11%
- Fiber 5gm 5%
- Protein 19gm
- Cholesterol 45mg 15%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.