- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put 1 tbsp butter in a frying pan over low heat. Add the cumin seeds ,cardamom pod, star anise and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and coat it with the butter and herbs. Cook another couple of minutes. Put the rice in a rice cooker with 2 cups of the chicken broth and cook. While it is cooking put another 1 tbsp butter and 1 tsp olive oil in the frying pan and sauté the mushrooms and shallots. Add 1 tbsp vermouth. When they are done set them aside and reuse the pan for the spinach. Add 1 tbsp butter and spinach in the pan and stir fry the spinach. It will reduce quickly. Set aside to cool slightly and chop.
- Shred the Spam on the coarse side of a grater. Chop the hard boiled eggs.
- Make the béarnaise sauce according to package directions. Then add the sour cream and the dill.
- Put a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Roll out the puff pastry to about 14" by 15" and place on the parchment paper. Spread the cooked rice down the middle of the pastry, then the spinach on top and then the mushroom mixture. Spread the Spam of top and then the eggs. Pour 1/2 of the béarnaise sauce on everything. Roll up the sides of the puff pastry and seal edges. Brush with the egg and cream mixture and bake in the oven for about 30 min. till golden brown. Thin the leftover sauce with the vermouth and pour over when ready to serve.
Recipe By Peggy Linberg, Upland, CA