1. To prepare croutons: Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Toss bread cubes, oil, garlic and rosemary in a large bowl until well combined. Spread in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until golden and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
¼ tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
2 cup diced peeled red potatoes
4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
6 cup fresh spinach or chard leaves, tough stems removed
freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
3. Meanwhile, to prepare soup: Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Pour in broth (or water). Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach (or chard) and continue to simmer until the greens are tender, about 10 minutes more. Puree the soup with an immersion blender or regular blender (in batches), leaving it a little chunky if desired. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
4. Serve the soup garnished with nutmeg, if desired, and topped with the croutons.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 169
- Calories from fat 63
- Total Fat 7gm 11%
- Sodium 578mg 24%
- Total Carbohydrates 21gm 7%
- Fiber 2gm 8%
- Protein 6gm
- Cholesterol 5mg 2%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.