1. Make Pureed Winter Squash. If using frozen squash, cook according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, roast peppers: Place over a gas flame and roast, turning as needed, until blackened on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, broil peppers on a baking sheet, turning from time to time, until blackened on all sides, 4 to 8 minutes.) Transfer to a paper bag and seal or place in a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand 10 minutes.
3. Mix the squash puree, cornmeal, pineapple juice concentrate, butter, cumin, oregano and salt in a large bowl until smooth.
4. Peel the peppers and rinse. A few blackened specks left on them will be fine. Make a long incision down one side of each pepper. Gently pry peppers open, then scoop out seeds and membranes, taking care not to tear the soft skin.
5. Carefully spoon about 1/3 cup squash filling into each pepper, followed by 2 tablespoons queso blanco (or Monterey Jack). Gently fold peppers closed.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs in 3 separate shallow dishes. Dredge each pepper in flour, roll in egg, then coat with breadcrumbs. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and cook until lightly browned all over, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
7. Bake the peppers until the cheese has melted and the filling is hot, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream (or yogurt).
Tip: Look for dark green poblanos about 5 inches long, with broad shoulders at the stem, tapering to a pointy tip. Wash your hands thoroughly after removing the seeds or wear rubber gloves; most of the chile oils are found in the seeds and connective membranes.
Ingredient Note: Queso blanco, also known as queso fresco, is a soft, slightly salty fresh Mexican cheese. You can find it in Latin markets and many supermarkets.
Related Recipe: Pureed Roasted Winter Squash
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 305
- Calories from fat 108
- Total Fat 12gm 18%
- Saturated Fat 5gm 25%
- Monounsaturated Fat 4gm
- Sodium 457mg 19%
- Total Carbohydrates 39gm 13%
- Fiber 4gm 16%
- Protein 11gm
- Cholesterol 74mg 25%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.