Stuffing & Chicken
1. To prepare stuffing & chicken: Combine spinach and breadcrumbs in a medium bowl with chicken livers (if using), Parmesan, egg, fennel fronds (if using), 2 tablespoons shallot, 1 tablespoon garlic, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
2. Place a chicken thigh skinned-side down on a work surface. Fill the thigh with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the stuffing, first filling the area (or pocket) left by the bone and placing the rest in the center of the thigh. Roll the thigh closed and secure with 2 pieces of kitchen string. Repeat with the remaining thighs and stuffing. (You may leftover stuffing.) Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt.
3. Heat oil in a large, heavy, high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add half the thighs, seam-side down. Cook, turning 2 or 3 times, until brown on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes total. Transfer to a clean plate and repeat with the remaining thighs.
½ cup finely chopped carrot
½ cup diced fennel bulb
¼ cup finely chopped shallot
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 ½ cup dry white wine
3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can 28-ounce crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
¼ tsp salt
4. To prepare sauce: Add onion, carrot, fennel, 1/4 cup shallot and 2 tablespoons garlic to the pan. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add wine and scrape up any browned bits; bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil until the liquid is reduced by about half, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes, basil, thyme and the chicken thighs. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered and turning the thighs occasionally, until cooked through and tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
5. Remove the thighs with a slotted spoon; tent with foil to keep warm. Simmer the sauce further to thicken it, if desired, or thin with a little broth or water if it’s too thick. Season with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve the chicken with the sauce.
Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh crumbs.
Note: Look for fresh chicken livers that have not been previously frozen. Previously frozen livers exude more liquid when cooking.
To Make Ahead: Prepare the stuffing (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day or stuff the chicken (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. | Equipment: Kitchen string
More From Kitchen Daily:
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 10 Total
- Calories 333
- Calories from fat 117
- Total Fat 13gm 20%
- Sodium 615mg 26%
- Total Carbohydrates 20gm 7%
- Fiber 4gm 16%
- Protein 28gm
- Cholesterol 98mg 33%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.