2 medium onions, chopped (2 cup)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (1 1/2 cup)
12 large egg
4 cup 1% milk
1 tsp salt, or to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
6 cubed, whole-wheat country bread (about 7 slices, crusts removed)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 ½ cup grated Swiss cheese (4 ounce)
1. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish (or similar shallow 3-quart baking dish) with cooking spray.
2. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Add onions and bell pepper to the pan and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl until blended.
4. Spread bread in the prepared baking dish. Scatter the sausage and the onion mixture evenly over the bread. Brush with mustard. Sprinkle with cheese. Pour in the egg mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the strata, uncovered, until puffed, lightly browned and set in the center, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving hot.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 12 Total
- Calories 256
- Calories from fat 117
- Total Fat 13gm 20%
- Saturated Fat 4gm 20%
- Monounsaturated Fat 4gm
- Sodium 552mg 23%
- Total Carbohydrates 20gm 7%
- Fiber 3gm 3%
- Protein 16gm
- Cholesterol 224mg 75%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.