Oatmeal is no doubt a breakfast staple. It’s warm, delicious, and heart-healthy! Here we have a new twist on the classic. Using protein-packed quinoa instead of standard oats, this recipe is sure to get your day started on the right foot. Breakfast is your opportunity to establish healthy choices for the rest of your day, so why not make it delicious and nutritious? Quinoa is one of the best whole grains to keep in the kitchen. Not only is it a complete protein, but its also an amazing source of fiber, iron, calcium, and it’s gluten free. More flexible than oatmeal, this dish can be served hot, room temperature, or even cold. This superfood has sustainability, guaranteed to keep you satisfied through that hectic commute and those long morning meetings. Topped off with unrefined sugars, fresh fruit, and nuts will satisfy all of your taste buds.
1 cup quinoa (red, white, black, or a mix), rinsed
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp chia seed
¼ tsp fine sea salt
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup fresh blueberry
handful of your favorite nuts (I love walnuts)
- It’s always important to rinse quinoa well before cooking. Rinse quinoa in a large fine-mesh sieve until water runs clear.
- Drain washed quinoa well in the large fine-mesh sieve.
- Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in maple syrup, chia seeds, sea salt, and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in blueberries and nuts, and cook for 30 seconds. Serve with additional milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, or blueberries.
- Have a great rest of the day.
Be SWEET to Yourself!
Read more from Sweet Loren's.