This is a combination of the sweet potato casserole and a potato torte. The dish is is sure to impress because it’s delicious and so pretty.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Cranberry sauce: In a medium sized pot over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in the orange juice. Stir in the cranberries and cook until the cranberries start to pop (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and place sauce in a bowl. It will thicken as it cools.
- While cranberry sauce is cooking, peel potatoes and slice into coins roughly 1/4 inch or thinner if you can. Set aside.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, melt 1 tbsp of butter then add diced onions. Cook until brown and take off heat.
- Now the fun really begins, grease a 9-inch saucepan with butter then begin layering like so: Sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, potatoes, butter, cheese, onions, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, potatoes, butter, cheese, onions, sweet potato.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove tin foil and place a small plate upside down over the pan. With one hand firmly at the bottom of the plate and the other gripping the pan handle, flip it over! Lift the pan and voila-you’ve got yourself a torte, my friend. Spoon some of the remaining cranberry sauce on top and serve.
Read more from Ragamuffin Recipes.