Lemon Breakfast Quinoa is bomb on its own, but the toppings are what will really rock. Fresh blueberry compote provides amazing sweet-tart flavor, looks fancy and toasted almonds are the perfect finishing touch, making each bite an epic combination of creamy, nutty, fruity goodness with an irresistible crunch.
For the record, this bowl of happiness can be made from start to finish in less than half an hour and requires zero culinary skill. You can always make it in advance if you prefer and then reheat it with a splash of almond milk in the morning (or whenever the mood strikes).
- In a medium lidded saucepan, combine almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and quinoa.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then lower the heat immediately until just simmering. Cover and cook for 15 minutes until about 2/3 of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Uncover and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa has the texture of thick porridge.
- Remove quinoa from the heat and stir in the lemon zest.
1 Tbsp plus ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 ½ Tbsp water
- While the quinoa is cooking, make the blueberry compote. In a small saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and water.
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring periodically, until the berries begin to burst and the mixture has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Now it’s time to toast the almonds. Heat a skillet or pan over medium heat (do not put any oil in the pan!). When hot add the sliced almonds and toast, shaking the pan regularly, for 2-3 minutes until they are lightly browned.
- Divide warm quinoa among bowls and top with blueberry compote and toasted almonds.
For the full post, visit Domesticate ME.