- Beat the egg whites with a mixer until they hold soft peaks.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk ricota, buttermilk, butter, vanilla extract, and egg yolks. Stir in the flour mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour batter into preheated waffle iron and cook until waffles are crisp and golden. I like keeping the oven hot at 350 and giving the waffles an extra round of crisping for a few minutes.
- Pour sauce on top of waffles and serve.
1 lemon, juiced and zested
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup water
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cinnamon stick
½ tsp ground clove
- Place all ingredients in a medium pot over medium-low heat and gently boil, stirring often.
- Let it cook together for about 5 minutes, and remove the cinnamon stick.
- Let cool.
Read more from Home Skillet.