1. Bring broth and water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Adjust heat to maintain a steady simmer.
2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, 2 to 3 minutes. Add barley and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute more. Reduce heat to medium.
3. Add 1/2 cup hot broth to the barley and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding 1/2 cup hot broth at a time and stirring until the liquid has been absorbed after each addition, adjusting the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, until the barley is tender and creamy but still somewhat firm, 35 to 45 minutes. (You might not use all the broth.)
4. Stir in arugula and cook, stirring, until it is wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese, butter and vinegar. Season with pepper.
More From Kitchen Daily:
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 321
- Calories from fat 81
- Total Fat 9gm 14%
- Saturated Fat 3gm 15%
- Monounsaturated Fat 4gm
- Sodium 543mg 23%
- Total Carbohydrates 48gm 16%
- Fiber 10gm 40%
- Protein 9gm
- Cholesterol 9mg 3%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.