Made with Frank's Red Hot sauce and a signature homemade rub, these classic hot wings are perfect for parties or any other at-home events. You can bake the wings in advance and then fry or broil them just before serving.
½ cup kosher salt
½ Tbsp turbinado sugar
¼ Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp white pepper
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp ancho chile powder
1 cup cumin
1 cup ground celery seed
½ cayenne pepper
2 all-purpose flour
12 chicken wings, cleaned and end nibs removed
1 32-ounce bottle Frank’s RedHot Sauce
1 stick unsalted butter
4 canola oil
celery, for serving
blue cheese dip, for serving
For Big Lou's Spice Rub:
1. Mix all of the ingredients well in a large bowl and let stand for 2-3 hours. Store in an airtight container.
For the wings:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix the all-purpose flour with ¼ cup of Big Lou’s spice rub. Put another ¼ cup of the spice rub in another bowl. (Reserve any remaining rub for another use.) Toss the wings in the rub and then the flour-rub mixture.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place all of the wings on the pan. Place in the oven and cook until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 160 degrees, about 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, warm the hot sauce in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Once warm, add the butter and honey, stirring to combine. After the butter has melted and the sauce is uniform, remove from heat and set aside.
5. When the wings are done remove them from the oven and heat the oil in a large pot or deep fryer to 350 degrees. Fry 6 wings at a time, repeating until all wings are golden brown in color, about 2-3 minutes. Toss the wings in the sauce until evenly coated. Serve with celery and blue cheese dip.